The Blythlyway in Guyana

Monday, July 02, 2007

Congo-Nya Town Hall New Amsterdam Family Cultural Event.
Three Members of Congo-Nya starting up the talking drums that would keep building with the addition of four more drummers and their leader on the Shaka-Shaka. It is almost hard to believe when you see actual musicians in New Amsterdam as opposed to electronic replay. It was a great priviledge to be the offical photographer of the whole day, using a new video camera that the band now owns. For years, over twenty-five years, people have been photographing and videoing the band and then leaving so that the band gets to see very little of the footage and never owns any of it. Now they can record their own gigs for future promotion, making videos or commercials, or just be able to see themselves perform. The youth drummer were particularly happy to see themselves on TV. I got to walk all over town and film everything, but I would never have done that if it was not that I was holding Congo-Nya's camera. In fact I got approached a number of times and asked in not exactly friendly terms who I was recording for, only to get smiles and blessings to continue when I told them it was Congo-Nya's camera.

2 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Blogger s said...

met these guys in brazil in 2001 and they changed my life. they left many inspired people in their wake, as i learned when i went back last summer to ask people about their knowledge of rastafari. glad you got to experience their warmth. how did the videos come out?

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger J. Arthur Blyth said...

I don't have much of the video footage, a few minutes here and there. Hopefully I will be getting some more footage from Congo-Nya in the next few months. There is a
facebook group Congo-Nya Cultural Foundation set up to support the Guyanese group from afar. When I get more pictures and video I most likely will be posting it there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home